Self-employment tax filing for freelancers.

The way you work is changing. Finally, you've got a tax partner who gets it.

Only $94.95

Get Started
State Additional $54.95
Pay only when you file

Tackle your taxes the smarter way by filing self-employment taxes online.

You work hard for every penny you earn, but protecting it come tax time can be a challenge. At TaxAct, we get it. And we can help.

Radar type icon
Keep more of your self-employment income with a simple tool designed for freelancers and independent contractors.
Accuracy check icon

$100k Accuracy Guarantee

We're so confident our software will get you your maximum refund with absolute accuracy that we back it up with our $100k Accuracy Guarantee.
Security lock icon

Security You Can Trust

With TaxAct, peace of mind for freelancers comes standard. And we have the trusted security safeguards to prove it.

Get the freelance deductions you deserve.

Knowing what you can deduct when filing your taxes can save you hundreds. Discover the top deductions for freelancers just like you.

We've gathered the top deductions for , giving you a clear advantage this tax season (and all year long):

    Maximize your deductions and keep more of your money this year with quick tax tips for freelancers.

    Guide to Self-Employment Taxes: Smart Filing for Freelancers

    Tracking expenses, due dates and estimated quarterly taxes are among a freelancer's top concerns. Whether your business is your primary source of income or you freelance part time, your tax situation is a little different than most. That doesn't mean it has to be difficult.

    As a freelancer, you may need to pay quarterly estimated taxes.

    When you're a freelancer or an independent contractor, you own a business of one. This means that in the eyes of the IRS, you are self-employed. And like most business owners, it also means you're responsible for making sure your taxes are paid appropriately.

    If you expect to owe $1,000 or more in taxes on income received from your clients, these payments help you to proactively pay those taxes as you earn the money.

    Determine if you need to pay quarterly estimated tax payments

    Self-employment tax is separate from federal income tax.

    Self-employment tax is money a business owner must pay to the federal government to fund their share of Medicare and Social Security. This tax must be paid if your net earnings total $400 or more during the tax year. It is separate from federal income tax and equals 15.3 percent of your self-employment income.

    Find out what portion of your freelance income is taxable